Monday, June 30, 2003

Why I Didn't Vote - Ashraf Choudhary

New Zealand's first Muslim MP, Ashraf Choudhary, says his decision to abstain on the vote decriminalising prostitution was not wimpish or a "cop out".

"I had a considered and deliberate view that I would not vote for this bill because of my faith, my background - and my community would not expect me to vote for it.
"I'm pleased I didn't vote for it.
"But for me to vote against the bill would have negated the potential benefits for those unfortunate women who are in that situation."
"I said to them I would not vote for it because it is against my own beliefs and it is against the community's beliefs."

Dr Choudhary's abstention and the surprise decision of Labour MP Luamanuvao Winnie Laban, a church elder, to support the bill secured the win.
Both said Prime Minister Helen Clark did not lobby them to support the bill.
 

2 comments:

بـــلاجی MSN said...

Even Mr Choudry, knew that his bill can be stop , he stayed quite, it was not a party vote , but it was vote of conscience, “ I am pleased I did not vote for this” come on Mr MP face the realty and face it bravely , it was against your faith but conscience was thinking other way, in this case we will say your faith is in doubt , Just say I did it because according my conscience Prostitution will bring more prosperity to New Zealand, end of story, how prostitution will bring prosperity to New Zealand ?, you need to address this issue In this whole matter true winner is Helen Clark, who did not lobby for it

gail MSN said...

Thousand's of minds are thinking of One question only and there seems to be
political answer from our ethnic leader. I don't understand if option was
given to him, vote either in favour or against, and his vote can bring some
change but simply not participating doesn't solve the problem. He is there
in the parliment to do good for the community.

a member


>From: "Sohni Dharti"
>Reply-To: "Sohni Dharti"
>To: "Sohni Dharti"
>Subject: Re: Why I Didn't Vote - Ashraf Choudhary
>Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:43:55 -0700
>

_________________________________________________________________
Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream @
http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5803,00.html !